Saturday, November 6, 2010

Lima, Peru




Understandably I have skipped a few months so that my extremely enriching time with my family did not sidetrack our main purpose here which is in fact South America. I arrived only a few days ago to Lima, Peru and see that what this most southern continent had previously instilled in me has returned beating like a drum deep within my breast. Though Lima has never been my most ideal place to be I have kept myself busy in this huge city. I am staying with a good friend I met back in Arin, Cusco at Kusi Wasi, Mickey and his darling wife Angela. They have been very generous and even set me up with my own room and bed. The two have an outstanding passion for helping children and have been trying to do what they can for the kids here in peru. Every Saturday they leave the house about 7 am to join up with a crew of volunteers making and delivering breakfast to the poorest parts of Lima. I decided without much deliberation that I too wanted to lend a helping hand. We arrived this morning at a building seemingly made completely of adobe. We walked through a dark hallway leading into the back kitchen where probably around 25 people were scattered about the house and I soon found myself cutting open bread and putting a thin slice of cheese or ham inside of it. There was around 800 pieces of bread and maybe around 6 large blue barrels of hot milky oatmeal. We divided into groups and I pushed for the group that had the most work cut out for them. Palompa. As we boarded the food as well as ourselves we headed out to begin serving breakfast. We stopped at a few places before actually reaching Polompa which in fact is not one sole place but rather a barrio or neighborhood of around a thousand. We stopped at designated areas shouting out breakfast so the people knew we were there. They lined in packs behind the truck and we literally poored out every tub of oatmeal and handed out every single tiny sandwich to kids with dirty faces and hungry bellies. Their houses were little more than slaps of used siding that they had put up and attached a tin roof to. Some had glass windows which for some reason shocked me and others had only tarps that flapped in the dusty wind. It was fulfilling but to a point. They seemed quite grateful but honestly I knew that this was such a small achievement and in the end changes only tiny slivers of their very dire situation and maybe even prolongs it. Lacking our basic luxuries, most importantly water and food, these children and their families fight everyday with what our growing societies have left them. If only we would do more. If only we all would see these tiny faces looking up with big brown eyes asking for just another piece of bread. Its an awakening I hope to keep with me on this journey. As for my traveling plans I suppose I will stay here until Monday. There is a tambor festival (drum festival) tomarrow at 6 so I, but of course, will fully enjoy fine music, take to a bit of dancing and maybe even put my juggling skills to the test. I will keep you all posted with the outcome.

1 comment:

  1. Hey there...I am Gina a friend of Joey's. I understand (I think) what you are saying... that is seems at most, a drop in the bucket...but I suppose to the person being handed that sandwich and bit of oatmeal, it is far more than that. You participated in the very best kind of charity and generosity...the hand to hand kind...the authentic giving of one person to another. Goodness at that level is the most meaningful to giver and recipient.

    Cheers from BC.

    ReplyDelete