Sunday, November 8, 2009

Alone again... naturally


Yes, I have found myself walking a bit lighter these days since Julian has finally made up his mind to return to Colombia. Though he had been saying it on and off almost from the beginning he finally followed through on his word and spread his wings as wide as possible so that he could arrive before Christmas to see his anxious hijo that is pleading the arrival. At the same time he was like a guacamayo that found itself in the middle of a frigid, snow-covered mountain; utterly out of place. As for me, I find myself wandering the rainy streets of Valdivia enjoying a bit of the solitude though I do say that his absence is sincerly felt. Valdivia has a huge port and seems to be a budding city with deliquents that continue to spread through all the main cities. There are big, fat, round seals that pass their days sleeping alongside the market feasting on the fish that the they throw. The other day I had finally had the opportunity to boulder alongside the black-sanded beach. Our first climb was called ´Choque Panda`and had almost killed me on the first run. Considering the 10 month lapse in climbs combined with the challenging level, I practically collapsed after the second attempt. Aside from the backbreaker Iwas able to take in all the scenery, resting my eyes on the quiet yellow and red fishing boats that swayed with the waves or the pure greenery that covered every inch of the landscape, the melting sun that slowly leaked its colores on the dancing ocean waters. unbelievably beautiful.
As for the sales I have to say I was completely blown away. Upon entering the first bar I had sold around four pairs of earings and the night continued to bestow the same and I was able to end the evening with $40 packed away in my pocket. The family that I am staying with has been unbelievably generous and I have a nice hot meal in my belly everyday which is a welcomed change considering the past few weeks seemed to be pure bread with the occasional `queso de crema.´ The mother reminds me entirely too much of my own and I end up missing home even more. I suppose the next stop is Orsorno, Chile for some brief sales since they are in mid-festival this week and then on to Bariloche, Argentina.

No comments:

Post a Comment