Friday, June 4, 2010

M.I.A.

I finally found my escape and it was nestled between the mountains of Potrerillo, Argentina. Passing months in the twisted social binds of restless cities had been creating a hole in the pit of my stomache and robbing every tiny ray that I emitted. I arrived with a Henry an ex-artisan and supposed rafting guide whom I had come to know in the Plaza de Independencia. He spent a few days there and set back out for Mendoza while I stayed behind not yet ready to renounce my refuge. I was introduced to Bimbo (or Matias) who was running the hostel while the actual owners were rafting in Italy; Chimba (a.k.a Guillemero) a noisy and energetic rafting guide who had been living in a tree house for the past few months; Lole (or Horacio), another rafting guide quite a bit more down to earth except when in the river where his passion transformed him into a boisterous and enthusiastic creature; Paco, who was an older argentino with an amazing talent in photography; and Americo who was the craziest of the guides but had more than a decade of rafting under his belt. They were the wildest bunch of nuts I had seen in a while thriving on pure adrenaline and simply enjoying nature, something we all had in common. I spent my days rafting in the Mendoza RIver, climbing, eating hardily and surrounding myself with amazing people who helped pull me out of the trenches. Laughing, singing, dancing and finally settling in for a few glorious days was like sitting beside a warm fire knowing that the cold could no longer invade the new lines drawn. The mountains had inspired humility standing erect with a transition of snowy peaks and the Mendoza River bubbling with white waters that pushed into yet another turquoise lake of which I have come to know here in South America. Roaming dogs line the hostel walls and Paco´s ranch. We were constantly surrounded by their masses but each one had a unique touch and they seemed to love hiking and climbing as much as we did. The free time we did have we spent creating new challenges like a kayak-longboard... and we actually pulled it off. I will treasure the memories I was able to make with the entire crew... if they only knew the energy they helped put back in me. I have decided to go back for a short time to be with my family. It has been too long and though my wandering soul wants to continue I know that it is time to invest my energies into my most beloved treasure in life.... my wonderful and amazing family! I am thinking that heading up to Lima may be a cheaper idea but time considering I may just fly out of Argentina. Pictures are coming!

4 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see you, and I am not alone! Have a safe and speedy trip home. Let us know how we can help! All my love, Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacy, this post is especially beautiful and moving to me. I feel privileged to enjoy the friendship of such a beautiful soul. I am eager to hugging you and listening to your stories. Un abrazo fuerte.

    ReplyDelete
  3. shtashe tremendous girl. more great human like she.

    ReplyDelete
  4. girlie - not sure I have you're email right so sending it via blogster....

    Girlfriend -

    It was sssoooooo gooood to hear your voice, at home, shaved and showered(trust me, I appreciate those things like you do in ways others don't)..... Your family has missed you soooooooooooooooooooo much. Me too (selfishly, wanting to hear your daily adventures and goings on... you don't blog enough when you're gone). I love being around free spirits and I, have so missed yours. Living vicariously through others is a GOOD thing even though I have to pray and trust, it's hard for me at times. I'm so looking forward to hearing your stories, adventures, misadventures (as I know can happen outta the US of A). I talked to Hannah today and told her that we need to wrangle up our ponies and trailer out to the ranch to ride with you. Do you remember Hannah? My neighbor? We had dinner together? She's my riding pal, has a trailer, and "gumpshun" if you know what I'm saying....She, like you, inspires me. Peeps like y'all make me GROW.

    Big hugs little sister from another mother! Glad you're home for a while and more than happy to encourage you to fly on to another return, to the great "wonder", for another return home to share your journey, your passion, your life. Ain't life GRAND?????

    Yep, it is.

    Can't wait to see you soon and 'hear all about it'!!

    Joey

    ReplyDelete