Wednesday, March 31, 2010

What do I do now?


Following on a repetitive landslide, I had spent roughly one month the binds of Osorno, Chile. Reminiscing with the old ladies about our past adventures, mischiefs and scruptious feasts of which still had continued to be a standing tradition. The trip seems to be in reverse, retrailing paths once taken and finding myself back in Santiago. At such, I have even been able to dumbfound myself stepping foot yet once again in the smog-filled abysm of the capital with the hope of changing a few lives for the better. Before arriving I had been in contact with a spunky youth named Taiis of whom I had the chance of meeting on my adventures in Chiloe, Chile. She and her family have generously offered their home in Maipu, a suburb about a good hour from downtown in bus and maybe a half an hour in metro. Fortunately there still remains previous contacts and I am continually blessed finding friends everywhere I roam.
I sincerly hope that I can put some of my magic together and lift spirits or at least plaster if nothing else. That oh so unrefined yet predominant wayfaring outline continues to tap its impatient fingers on the door but so has my writhing conscience of which obliges me to find some way to help my fellow chileans pull themselves up and out of a continued despair. At Santiago's doorstep I was welcomed by its habitual trembling left over by the February 27th earthquake. I am still not accostomed to dealing with the replicas and at times it seems as if they were part of my imagination almost like the moment a cell phone viabrates and it takes a few seconds to realize what's happening. Santiago has always seems to bring about challenges. My beloved grandmother was rushed to the hospital just a few days ago creating an anxiety scratching at every limb. The sales are slow maybe do to the magnitude of what they call "artisanganos" or revendors who buy up jewlery at the lowest possible cost and sell it for a few greens on the street impeding the sale of wondering clientele. I feel a bit like grabbing my bags and escaping once again but I know that deep down I strive to be a better person so I stay, preparing myself to bear arms. I will embrace the battle! Like Mahatma Gandhi once said "whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it." I may not change many lives but maybe just one might be enough.

1 comment: