Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Holidays



I have been walking with a a four-leaf clover in my back pocket with a bit of help from the multitude of prayers my mother and family have been shipping my way. After arriving in Puerto Natales, Chile, a population of around 20,000 inhabitants, I had been running a bit of the main streets selling jewlery with the couchsurfer´s youngest magoo trailing my every step. I happened upon a local artisan store and took the initiative to see if by chance the owner would buy some of my latest productions. She was a woman, plump and sunny though a bit of what they call a ¨pajarona¨or rather somewhat capricious for lack of a better word. She introduced herself as Marta but seeing as she deserved the title Señora Marta I quickly caught on. She offered me 500 pesos chilenos for 15 pairs of earings which ends up being around $15 or so. After arriving with the fresh expo she inquired on my holiday planes and I explained that I hadnt any and for that matter was not sure were to settle in for the upcoming event. Señora Marta quickly lent a very hospitable hand stating that she was to fly to Santiago the 24th of december not returning until the 3rd of January and had two wonderful dogs that needed a gringa nanny. Considering that she had met me only once prior and for a very brief moment I was shocked at the confidence she had in me but I accepted without thinking twice thanking her numerous times for the opportunity. As I entered into the house I was greated by an aging beagel and a black-mixed puppy that was rescued from the streets. I soon realized that they were little hellins unaccostomed to sharing their bed of which I soon realized was mine as well. I was left a tiny corner of the bed while the dogs took advantage of every other inch left over. Once Señora Marta hit the trail I quickly took over the top bunk and from there I began to get a bit more respect. While all this was happening I was also getting to know a charming french madame called Ana and her overly-friendly chileno husband, Alejandro. They more or less took me under their wing and I was able to meet the rest of the posse, Fernando, his wife and their kids, Daniel and Vivi and lil munchkins, Valery and a few more that had welcomed me into the family. I spent the holidays roasting fresh lamb over an open fire, eating local potatoes, salads, salsas, and much more... to say the least I wasnt alone and passed the holidays with a nice fat belly, jolly and cared for. I have spent the last three weeks producing, selling and getting to know the quaint town of Puerto Natales. I supose my next step, now that Señora Marta has returned, is to save up some money and prepare to head to the park in roughly 9 days... obviously the count down has already begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment